Tuesday, March 23, 2004

Books Etc.

So as I did what wrote that I would do in yesterday's blog, I went to Fremont Place Books today. I went to the shop owner and said "I would like to buy some cheese." She replied, "Sorry, fresh out."

Okay, no I didn't say that and she didn't say that. I said something like "I'm on a quest. I read something in Salon yesterday about how this midlist author is having a hard time making it and one thing I can do is go to my local book store and ask about for recommendations. So here I am, and I so I was wondering if you can recommend little known or reviewed novels by not well known authors?" She was not non-plussed or hid it well if she was - one would say she was plussed if not fully plussed. I did think she knew what I was going on about because she did guide me to the right kind of books. The two I selected are "Sweetwater" by Roxana Robinson and "The Student Conductor" by Robert Ford. Note that I did not put Amazon links on them - that would be kinda, ummm, wrong in this context. I felt a teeny bit guilty on "The Student Conductor" because I remembered it from either a Staff Picks section or a New Fiction Award section at Barnes and Noble. But I assuaged my guilt by buying the other book that I totally hadn't heard of.

Now comes the hard part. Right now these books are 28th and 29th in line to be read of books that I own. In addition, I have 18 books either on reserve or on a list at the library. Just for kicks here are the books I own that I have waiting for me:

Robinson, Muriel Spark
The Company, A Novel of the CIA, Robert Littell
Independence Day, Richard Ford
I Married a Communist, Philip Roth
The God of Small Things, Arundhati Roy
Loitering with Intent, Muriel Spark
The Stones of Summer, Dow Mossman
Good Faith, Jane Smiley
I'm Not Scared, Niccolo Ammaniti
Oryx and Crake, Margaret Atwood
Foul Matter, Martha Grimes
Mortals, Norman Rush
The Meaning of Everything, Simon Winchester
Stories, Ray Bradbury
Vintage Didion, Joan Didion
Bangkok 8, John Burdett
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, Mark Haddon
Without Conscience, Robert Hare
Paradise Lost, Milton
Republic, Plato
Ethics, Aristotle
Dubliners, James Joyce
Letters from a Stoic, Seneca
On The Good Life, Cicero
The Celts, Nora Chadwick

Yup, a little light reading ahead of me....Good thing I don't have a social life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home